Friday, November 10, 2017

My Sea, a poem from a different time of life

While cleaning out some files on my laptop I came across some old poems I wrote a few years ago when I lived in my beloved Charleston, SC. Its funny to think about my life then....and what a difference 3 years makes.

When I wrote this I was a different woman; focused on simply paying my bills another month in a city I couldn't afford to live in at the time, hoping for someone to ask me to dinner at Magnolias or Cypress, and counting down until my next day off so I could go to the beach. My circumstances couldn't be more opposite now, but the heart of that woman is not much changed. I have no idea if there is any sense in the arrangement or format of this poem. I can't even remember writing it. But it makes me happy reading it now, and I hope it makes you happy too.



My Sea

I swear the ocean has healing properties
In the swells
in the sand
It’s like our psyches are programmed to receive
Earth, salt, wind
Life
Power
I can feel it swaying my body
I’m only waist deep but I am weightless
Undulating and soothed by the currents that hold me
I am fragile against the enormity
And somehow
that is comforting
The world seems limitless when I’m flowing in the surf
And yet I feel I can conquer it
I see my immortality
And I am inspired to live
To breathe
To swim against the tide

Alas, I am no daughter of Poseidon


Photo by: Kaitlin Scott Photography at Edisto, Botany Bay, SC

No comments:

Post a Comment